Last July 1st when the Montreal Canadiens announce that they have reached a agreement with free agent Alexander Radulov, a lot of fans and people in the world of hockey were skeptical about this signature by the Habs. After all, Radulov had not played in the NHL since 4 years and the last time he was there, things didn't go too well for him with the Nashville Predators. However, since the start of the training camp we saw a different player that the one in his younger years in Nashville. Alexander Radulov is probably the best foward of the team since the start of the season with 3 goals, 2 assists for 5 points in 6 games. Monday against the Philadelphia Flyers he was the best player on the ice. What impresses me the most about him, it is his hard work during all the game. EVERY time he is on the ice he work hard and create some dangerous scoring chances for the team. Now the question is to know if he can maintain the pace for all the season ? I think so, because I really believe that the fact that Radulov at age 30, with a wife and a kid is now more mature and ready to prove to everyone that he can dominate in the NHL like he did in the KHL. Like we said, maturity has much better taste !
The Habs play the first of a back to back games tonight in NY by visiting the Islanders. The Canadiens are still the only team in the NHL that did not lose a game in regulation time since the start of the season. This mark the second consecutive season that the Habs will be the last NHL team to lose a game in regulation to start the season. For the Islanders, this is also the first game of a back to back. Here the complete game infos and lineup for both teams.
Montreal Canadiens vs New York Islanders (Barclays Center, Brooklyn, 7:00pm, SN1 and RDS)
Montreal Canadiens lineup :
1st : Max Pacioretty- Alex Galchenyuk- Brendan Gallagher
2nd : Artturi Lehkonen- Tomas Plekanec- Alexander Radulov
3rd : Paul Byron- David Desharnais- Andrew Shaw
4th : Phillip Danault- Torrey Mitchell- Brian Flynn
The NHL season as started for a week now, so it's time for our first powers rankings of the 2016-2017 season ! Every thursday I will do a power rankings of the 30 NHL teams. They will be ranked by their results of the previous week. So let's start !!
30. Los Angeles Kings : The Kings have a very bad start to their season. Not only they lose their first 3 games so far this season, but they also lose their star goalie Jonathan Quick for 3 months due to an injurie in the season opener.
29. Columbus Blue Jackets : The Groundhog days for the Blue Jackets ? This team never seem to be able to have good start over the past years. Does the job of head coach Jonh Tortorella could be in danger if the team is not better quickly ?
28. Calgary Flames : Yes, the Flames have already 3 points in the standings, but they did not played well so far. Brian Elliott was supposed to solve the Flames problems between the pipes, but he have a disastrous start so far. Also, with no training camp, Johnny Gaudreau have a slow start.
27. Anaheim Ducks : Still winless, the Ducks need to find their game quickly if they don't want to repeat their last season start. With a new head coach in Randy Carlyle, they need better results.
26. Carolina Hurricanes : The Hurricanes may not have a win so far this season, but they could have better numbers. They lose 2 games in overtime against the Oilers and the Canucks.
25. NY Islanders : A slow start for the Islanders this season. They did not play bad, but they will miss a lot Kyle Okposo this season.
24. Nashville Predators : The great debut of PK Subban with the Predators is not enough for this team so far. Just 1 win in 3 games and they gave too many goals.
23. New Jersey Devils : With the addition of Taylor Hall, the Devils were expected to score more goals this season. That is not the case so far with only 5 goals in 3 games....
22. Buffalo Sabres : A ton of injuries for the Sabres so far this season, gave them mixed results. They won a game in Edmonton and lose against MTL and Calgary. When the injured players will return, the Sabres will be better.
21. Arizona Coyotes : An ok start for a very young Coyotes team. They played only 2 games.
20. Detroit Red Wings : Could the 25 consecutive season with playoffs in Hockeytown could end this season ? The Red Wings have an mixed start with 2 wins and 2 losses in 4 games. The absence of Pavel Datsyuk hurt them.
19. Winnipeg Jets : Patrick Laine is off to an amazing start for Winnipeg. A hat trick yesterday against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
18. Chicago Blackhawks : Chicago have problem so far with their bottom six players. They have no depth and if their top six players have a bad night, they will lose the game.
17. Toronto Maple Leafs : A surprising start for the Maple Leafs. Their young players are very good. Auston Matthews have slow down a bit after a 4 goals night in last week opener.
16. Colorado Avalanche : A good start for Jared Bednar as the head coach of the Avalanche. The team seem more organized than last year so far.
15. NY Rangers : The Rangers have a lot of problem between the pipes. Henrik Lundqvist is no longer the goalie he was 2 or 3 years ago. NY gave too many goals so far this season.
14. Minnesota Wild : So far so good, for the Wild with 2 wins in 3 games.
13. Philadelphia Flyers : Only 1 win this season, but the team have already 3 points in the standings.
12. Dallas Stars : Again this season, the Stars will score a lot of goals, but they gave too many so far. The goalies are still the biggest problem for this team.
11. Washington Capitals : Not a start like last season for Washington, but still no losses in regulation time.
10. Boston Bruins : A solid start for the Bruins. They played all of the games on the road so far...
9. Florida Panthers : The success of last year seem to contine for the Florida Panthers.
8. Montreal Canadiens : A good start for the Canadiens. 2 wins in 3 games without Carey Price is good. Al Montoya as been amazing so far...
7. San Jose Sharks : The Stanley Cup finalist pick up where they left off last year. A great start.
6. Ottawa Senators : A very good start for the Sens with Guy Boucher as the head coach. The team scored a lot of goals.
5. Pittsburgh Penguins : A lot of injuries for the Stanley Cup champions, but still 5 points and 2 wins so far.
4. Vancouver Canucks : What a start for the Canucks ! 3 wins in 3 games and they are the only team in the NHL with a perfect record so far with Tampa Bay ! Will they kept the pace ?
3. Edmonton Oilers : Will this be finally the year for the Edmonton Oilers ? So far, they have a strong start with 3 wins in 4 games. Connor McDavid is the best player in the league so far....
2. Tampa Bay Lightning : The Lightning prove so far that they are the best team in the Eastern Conference. They have talents and skills with the complete team.
1. St-Louis Blues : Already 7 points for the Blues and they are 1st in the overall standings. A complete team who could finally win a cup this season.
There you have it for my first powers rankings of the season ! Are you agree with me ? What are your powers ranking for this week ? Leave comments in the section below ! :)